Early Colonial Settlers of Southern Maryland and Virginia's Northern Neck Counties

Daniel Jenifer

Male Bef 1831 - Aft 1861  (> 32 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Daniel Jenifer 
    Birth Bef 1831  Charles County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Death Aft 1861 
    Person ID I58974  Tree1
    Last Modified 26 Nov 2023 

    Father Daniel Jenifer,   b. 15 Apr 1791, Charles County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this locationd. 18 Dec 1855, Mulberry Grove, Port Tobacco, Charles County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location (Age 64 years) 
    Relationship natural 
    Mother Elizabeth Trippe Campbell,   b. Abt 1794, Charles County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this locationd. 26 Jan 1831, Mulberry Grove, Port Tobacco, Charles County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location (Age ~ 37 years) 
    Relationship natural 
    Marriage Abt 1811  Charles County, Maryland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F28163  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • Linda Reno:

      5/1/1861: The Arrest of Captain Jenifer. The Hagerstown (Md.) Mail gives the following account of this affair, which has already been briefly noticed:

      Captain Jenifer a few days since arrived at Carlisle Barracks, in command of his company from Texas. A few days after he obtained leave of absence from his commanding officer, Major Thomas, for the purpose of visiting his friends and relatives in this State and Virginia. On reaching Baltimore on the day of the fight, and perceiving that as an officer of the United States Army he would soon be called upon to take part against his native State, like Col. Magruder, Col. May and others, he tendered his resignation, to take effect on the 30th of April inst. The only reason why his resignation was not to have immediate effect was that he might have time to settle his accounts with Government. Having concluded to make this change in his plans, he started back the same evening to Carlisle Barracks, for the purpose of informing his commanding officer of what he had done, forwarding his baggage and taking his horse to Baltimore. On reaching Carlisle, he learned that the bridge on the Northern Central Railroad had been destroyed, and was consequently compelled to take his horse by turnpike. On Sunday night last he bid the officers of his regiment good bye — they having to start for Washington at 11 o'clock that night — telling them that within four or five days he would meet them in Washington, and remain with them until his resignation was accepted, or he had ceased to be an officer of the Army.

      At seven o'clock the next (Monday) morning, Captain Jenifer mounted his horse and left the Barracks, by the turnpike leading to Baltimore. He was between nine and ten hours reaching Hanover, a distance of thirty miles, having ridden the whole way in a walk. On arriving at Hanover about five o'clock, he found about two hundred armed men assembled in front of the hotel. As soon as he dismounted, they crowded. around him for the purpose, as he supposed, of ascertaining if he had any news. He gave what news he had, when the Mayor of Hanover asked him to step into the parlor, where he was arrested by the Mayor by order of the Governor. The Mayor then informed him that the arrest was made in consequence of information received by telegraph that he was the bearer of dispatches or important information designed for the South. At this time the crowd be came very much excited, when Capt. Jenifer proposed to address the populace, which, with the approval of the Mayor, he did from the window of the hotel, telling them the true object of his presence. This seemed to satisfy the crowd; but soon after a report was received that a mob from Baltimore was approaching Hanover, and was but a short distance off, intent upon the destruction of the town. The report was, of course, wholly groundless, but served to infuriate the populace again; the latter believing that Captain Jenifer's appearance there at the time was part of the scheme against the place.

      To satisfy the Mayor, Capt. Jenifer proposed that he should be searched, which was done. No dispatches or papers, or any other information, were found, than a private letter from a friend in Virginia, urging him to resign his commission in the army. The letter was retained, and a copy forwarded to the Governor. The Mayor then proposed that as it might be impossible to restrain the mob from personal violence, Capt. Jenifer had better proceed to York. While the conveyance was being prepared, his legs were bound with chains, and handcuffs were sent for; but before they could be procured, a gentleman of Hanover--Capt. A. W. Eichelberger--on hearing his name, said it was an indignity to an officer of the Army, and a gentleman, which could not be permitted; where upon the Mayor, after a short conversation with Capt. E., and a pledge from Jenifer that he would not attempt to escape, had the chains removed. This was done, however, against the remonstrances of many of the crowd. After the chains were taken off the crowd became still more excited, and one who had a musket in his hands remarked that he would like to put three hundred balls through the prisoner.

      Capt. Jenifer, who had no arms upon his person, was then taken to York in a close carriage, guarded by the Mayor and two others armed, arriving there at eleven o'clock the same night. The prisoner was first taken to a hotel, but, again fearful of a mob, he was placed in the common jail by his custodians, and locked up for the night as a prisoner of war. Between ten and eleven o'clock the next (Tuesday) morning, he was removed to another cell, which was considered more secure, and heavily ironed. In this condition be remained for several hours, when Judge Fisher, at the request of several citizens, among whom was Lieut. Wells, of the Navy, had the irons removed. At a later hour the irons were again put on by the Sheriff, by order of the Judge, as is thought, in consequence of a dispatch received from the Governor. About sundown Judge Fisher entered the cell to state to Capt. Jenifer that he was released.

      During his confinement large numbers of persons, through curiosity, visited the prisoner in his cell. When informed of his release, Capt. Jenifer obtained permission to remain in jail during the night; but his brother officers, who had arrived that evening in York, and who, it is believed, were mainly instrumental in procuring his release, insisted upon his lodging at their quarters. After remaining an hour or two, he went in company with Lieut. Wells, to pay a friendly visit to Judge Fisher, and thanked him for his kindness, when the latter informed him (Capt. J.) that he had just received another dispatch ordering his re arrest; but before this was carried into effect, the Judge had an interview with Col. Andrew Porter and Major Thomas, and upon Capt. Jenifer's giving his parole of honor to Col. Porter that he would not attempt an escape, was allowed to accompany him to Harrisburg for the purpose of having an interview with the Governor.

      Captain Jenifer reached Harrisburg at 3 o'clock on the morning of Wednesday, and waited upon the Governor at 9 o'clock, in company with Col. Porter and Lieut. Jones, recently in command at Harper's Ferry, who acted as Jenifer's friends upon the occasion.--After hearing the statement of the accused, Gov. Curtin's only reply was-- "These are exciting times, and we have to be on our guard,"or something to that effect. Capt. Jenifer then took leave, the Governor expressing his regrets at what had occurred. He then took the cars and arrived here, as already stated, on the evening train.

      Capt. Jenifer is a native of Charles county, Maryland, and son of the late Hon. Daniel Jenifer, who represented our State for many years in Congress, and was Minister to Austria under President Harrison. (Richmond Daily Dispatch, 5/1/1861).

Research Links  Find Daniel Jenifer at the following sites -