Early Colonial Settlers of Southern Maryland and Virginia's Northern Neck Counties

Philip Marsteller

Male 1742 - 1803  (61 years)


Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Philip Marsteller 
    Born 4 Jan 1742  Philadelphia County, now Montgomery County, Pennsylvania Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died Dec 1803  Alexandria, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried Old Christ Church, Alexandria, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I102570  Tree1
    Last Modified 22 Oct 2021 

    Family Magdalena Reiss,   b. 22 Dec 1745, Berks County, Pennsylvania Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1809, Alexandria, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 63 years) 
    Married 22 Apr 1766  Trappe, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Children 
     1. Barbara Marsteller,   b. Aft 1767, Mill Creek Township, Lebanon County, Pennsylvania Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Aft 1796, Alexandria, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age > 29 years)  [natural]
     2. Philip Gotthelp Marsteller,   b. 11 Feb 1770, Mill Creek Township, Lebanon County, Pennsylvania Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 6 Jul 1842, near Haymarket, Prince William County, Virginia Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 72 years)  [natural]
    Last Modified 22 Oct 2021 
    Family ID F45881  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/m/o/s/Robert-G-Mosteller/FILE/0 001text.txt

      Pfungstadt Evangelical Lutheran Church, c. 1985

      The History of the Marsteller family name and the town of Pfungstadt
      Edited & compiled by George Masteller
      The Marsteller name is a "Trade name". Marsteller comes from the word "Marstall" which means "Hostler" of keeper of horses in a royal stable. The original spelling of the name was Marstaller however our ancestors changed the spelling to Marsteller sometime prior to the 1500's (1). The Marsteller surname has appeared only among people of Germanic descent and, in comparison with other Germanic surnames, it has been born by a relatively small number of people (2).

      Our Marsteller ancestor's come from the town of Pfungstadt, Germany. Pfungstadt is a town located about 30 miles south of Frankfurt in the state of Hesse, Germany. Pfungstadt was the location of the horse stables for the Princes of Hesse, Germany. A Hen Marsteller is mentioned in a Pfungstadt letter dated 1514 (3). This is the oldest documentation of a Marsteller in Pfungstadt that can be found at this time therefore Hen is considered the patriarch of the family. He was probably born around the 1460's.

      Pfungstadt Evangelical Lutheran Church, c. 1800

      Notable Marst(a)eller's in History

      [The oldest record of a Marsteller is one Johann Von Marstaller as listed in the records of a medieval scribe. The scribe noted that Johann took part in the First Crusade to the Holy Land in the year 1096 AD sponsored by Pope Urban II](2). It should be noted that Pfungstadt is a neighboring town to "Worms" the town where Martin Luther posted his famous treatise of 1517 that signified the birth of the Lutheran church.

      Among the more notable Marst(a)eller's of the 1500's are the following:

      Michael Marstaller d. 1533, of Nuremberg - Michael was a university graduate with a doctorate in law. In 1516, he was one of five members of the college of advocates who served the city council, who in turn ruled the free imperial city of Nuremberg. By 1521, Dr. Michael Marstaller had risen to the position of Ratskonsulenten. As a member of this council Michael was well-paid (salary of 200 Gulden per year) and was a very influential and wealthy citizen of the city. As a member of the college of advocates, Michael was instrumental in establishing the Lutheran faith as the official religion of Nuremburg in 1525. Michael would have personally known Martin Luther. At some time prior to his death, Michael was awarded a coat of arms (2).

      Leonard Marstaller d. 1603, son of Michael Marstaller of Nuremburg - Leonard was a doctor of theology and a professor at the University of Ingolstadt (located about 80 kilometers north of Munich). Among other works, he published a book in 1524 called "Centum conclusiones de vera Libertate Christiana (1524) which expounds on the subject of "true Christian Liberty"' a subject which Martin Luther discussed in a popular treatise three years earlier in Saxony. Leonard is mentioned in a history of the city of Nuremburg written in the 1800's (2).

      Gervasius Marstaller - Gervasius was a native of the territory of Braunschweig. At the time of the reformation, he was living in Wurttemburg. Although he was trained as a medical doctor, he was also a supporter of Martin Luther. In 1549, he wrote a book of "divine arts" and astrology that was published in Paris. This book covered a topic that was a current interest of protestant reformers at the time] (2).

      Martin Marstaller b.1561 d.1615 - Martin, son of Gervasius, was a doctor of law and an historian. He was a councilor to Duke Bogislaw XII if Oineranuam then a Germanic territory in the northeast, which is now a part of Poland. Martin received a coat of arms] (2).

      Johann Marstaller - Johann wrote about the revolutions and uprisings during the reformation period. He is mentioned in the Frankfurt Chronicle.
      Although no proof exists, he could be the Johann Marsteller of Pfungstadt as shown in the Pfungstadt Marsteller family tree] (2).

      A Christoph Marstaller published a book in 1575, which dealt with the topic of financial support of the Evangelical Lutheran Pastor] (2).

      Paul Marstaller On August 1, 1543 Paul Marstaller was awarded a coat of arms at Speyer on the Lower Rhine.

      Joachim Marstaller - Joachim was a corporal in the Bodyguard of the Holy Roman Emperor and was awarded a coat of arms by the Emperor, Rudolph II, in Prague, on February 13, 1579. He was reported to have been raised to the imperial nobility on June 10, 1596. Both the son and grandson of Joachim are known to have been active in the affairs of Wurttemburg and the city7 of Augsburg in southwestern Germany] (2).

      A Dr. George Marsteller served as a town councilor in Frankfurt and he also possessed a coat of arms] (2).

      Although no proof exists connecting the above "notable" Marst(a)eller's to the Marsteller's of Pfungstadt, geographical proximity and the fact that the same Christian names were used among them suggests that there was a definite connection] (2).

      Pfungstadt, Hesse, Germany - The town (2)

      Geographically, Pfungstadt is located about 30 miles south of Frankfurt, about (five miles from Darmstadt) and lies about five east of the Rhine River in the twenty-mile wide river valley. The Modau river flows through the town and the "Odenwald"' a rugged hill region, which rises to 1,965 feet, is three miles east of the town.

      Pfungstadt has a long history. The "Chatti"' one of the Frankish tribes, which moved into the area, established a town in the neighboring Darmstadt area, which was burned by the Romans in AD 15. They were eventually pushed out by another tribe known as the Hessi who, it is believed, established the town of Pfungstadt in AD 785 the town was referred to in documents at the Monastery in Lorsch (see below) as "Pfungstadt".

      Christianity had been introduced into the area by the famous missionary to the "Barbarians" (our ancestor's) St. Boniface. The Benedictine monks established a monastery twenty-five miles to the south of Pfungstadt, which would become famous as the cloister of Lorsch. Though the town was under the jurisdiction of the Archbishop of Mainz (the territory capital for the Holy Roman Empire), the first mention of Pfungstadt as "a village with three mills" appears on the site of the present Evangelical Lutheran Church.

      In the ninth century, Charlemagne made the area his headquarters during his campaign against the Saxons. Then under Louis, the German, Pfungstadt was a part of the Duchy of Franconia. Later it was a made a part of the German state of Thuringa. In the thirteenth century, the local ruler took the title of Landgrave. When the Landgrave of Hesse became a prince of the Holy Roman empire in 1292, the history of Pfungstadt properly began, and, from then through the period of the Marsteller habitation, the town's fortune followed the rise and fall of Hesse.

      The church in Pfungstadt was built between 1277 and 1291, the church tower of which was known to the Marsteller's is the same as it stands today. During this period, the town grew and fourteen mills along the Madau River made the town a center of milling in the midst of a wealthy countryside. The Marsteller's saw the old church remodeled in 1550 and church-sponsored schools begun in 1571. They saw the city hall (Rathaus) built on barrel vaulting across the Madau in 1614 - 1618. With the Thirty Years War, the town was destroyed except for the Rathaus, the church and a few homes. From the start of the war in 1618 to its completion in 1648, the population of Pfungstadt plunged from about 800 people to 150 (2).

      The modern German land or state in which Pfungstadt is located is now a part of the German State called Hesse. Since the history of Hesse began in the thirteenth century, its boundaries have changed several times as well as its designation. After the death of the Landgrave Philip in 1567, the medieval state of Hesse was divided among his four sons. The youngest son inherited the area around Pfungstadt and made the city of Darmstadt, some five miles to the northeast, the capital of the newly formed Duchy of Hesse-Domstadt. The area was known by this designation at the time that members of the Marsteller family left Pfungstadt for America.

      The town today is primarily a small farming and milling community. The "old town" can be seen in the southern sector of the city. It covers an area of two by five blocks north of the Madau and an area of twice that size to the south of the rive. Perhaps a hundred homes, the church and the city hall exist from prior to the 30 years war.

      The Rathaus looks exactly as it did when the Marstellers left Pfungstadt in the eighteenth century. The church, however, has undergone renovation. The ancestors of the American Marstellers left Pfungstadt prior to the second renovation of the church in 1750, so the interior and the top of the bell tower would no longer be familiar to them. Three of the four bells, which rang for their weddings and funerals still ring today, however.

      There is an ancient cemetery directly behind the church where the Marstellers were buried, but their graves can no longer be located. By the middle of the twentieth century, the old cemetery had long since been filled, the inscriptions of the tombstones had become illegible, so the stones were removed and the old stone-walled cemetery was turned into a Children's playground.

      The Marsteller's of Pfungstadt (2)

      With the conversion from the Roman Catholic Church to the Lutheran faith, the town of Pfungstadt began to record significant personal events in the church such as Birth, Baptism, and Marriage and death information. The written records of Pfungstadt begin in the middle of the 1500's primarily through three volumes kept by the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Pfungstadt. These books have several gaps, especially through the thirty years war, but generally cover the years 1552 through 1795.

      The Marsteller family was one of the oldest and most prominent families in Pfungstadt. They were craftsmen by profession; Ironmongers (blacksmiths) and they belonged to the influential Ironmongers gild. Several members of the family also served in various civic positions such as on the town council, as Burgermeister (Mayor) and as military commander of the town Militia.

      How long the Marsteller family lived in Pfungstadt is not known but the family appears in the Lutheran church records (the Kirchenbuch) from the very first years of record keeping. Documentation exists from 1514 through the middle of the 1800's showing the Marsteller family living in Pfungstadt. The Marsteller name disappears from the town in the 1800's as the last male remaining in Pfungstadt with the Marsteller surname died without issue. However, many relatives remain in the town descended from the Marsteller women who married townsfolk. By the early 1700's, the area of Germany around Pfungstadt had seen almost 100 years of war. The state government was ineffective and taxation was very heavy. Death due to accusations of practicing Witchcraft was also very common.

      At the same time, in the years following William Penn's acquisition of a vast territory on the American continent in 1681, the Rhineland had been flooded with tracts, pamphlets and letters describing the glories of what is now Pennsylvania. Penn's agents and the agents of enterprising ship captains distributed the written materials and used every possible persuasive means to convince the disgruntled natives they could find their dreams in the "New World".

      The Trip to America

      Starting in 1727, and during the next twelve years, 6 members of the Marsteller family, 4 males and 2 females, some including their families left Pfungstadt to seek their futures in America. The trip led initially from Pfungstadt to Rotterdam or Amsterdam. Along the way, it is now known that each town collected tolls from all passengers. In addition, all passengers had to buy all their food and water for the lengthy voyage to the New World. The voyage itself was known to be a miserable experience for most passengers and deaths during the voyage were common. It was not unusual for passengers to arrive in America in debt to the ship's captain or agent with no money. In all over 30,000 people from the west-central part of Europe (an area referred to as Palatine) became part of what is now known as the "Palatine Migration".

      If a passenger arrived in debt and had no waiting relative or sponsor they typically had to enter indentured servitude contracts, usually for up to four years to whomever would pay their ship debts. It is probable that this was the situation that some, if not all of our ancestors faced on their arrival in America. All six of the Marsteller's who came to America from Pfungstadt left from Rotterdam or Amsterdam and arrived in the port of Philadelphia beginning in 1727.

      The American Marsteller's

      The first generation of Marsteller's initially settled in the southeastern counties of Philadelphia. They were instrumental in building the first Evangelical Lutheran churches in America and helped form the first Lutheran Synod in America. They were founding members of the Augustus Evangelical Lutheran Church near Trappe, PA, which is the oldest Lutheran Church in America still in operation. George Washington is known to have visited wounded troops being housed in the church during the Revolutionary war. One of the first Marsteller immigrants, Frederick Ludwig Marsteller, sponsored Heinrich Melchoir Muhlenberg, the Lutheran pastor considered the father of the Lutheran Church in America.

      Over the first few generations the spelling of the Marsteller name took may forms as the German immigrants struggled to adjust to the English language. Most commonly Marsteller, Mosteller and Masteller. From the four male Marsteller's are descended virtually all of the Marsteller's et al found in the United States today.

      One descendant, Philip Marsteller, son of Frederick Ludwig Marsteller, served as a colonel in the American Revolutionary War and became a close Friend of George Washington. He served as a pallbearer at President Washington's funeral and he purchased a pair of matched flintlock pistols from Washington's estate. Those pistols remained in the family for several generations until their eventual sale. These pistols are now on display in the West Pont museum in New York. On of Philip's sons helped lay the cornerstone of the U.S. Capitol building.

      Most of the descendants were initially farmers and blacksmiths. Later generations entered various professions but were primarily farmers, teachers, Minister's and many entered or served in the Military. Marsteller descendants have fought in every American War including the Revolutionary War and Civil War. The current descendants of the Marsteller's of Pfungstadt represent the tenth and eleventh generations in America over 270 years after the arrival of Johann Georg Marsteller on October 2, 1727.

      Sources:

      (1) Based on research by Dr. Susanne Mosteller Rolland.
      (2) From "Stumbling toward Zion: A Mosteller Chronicle" by Dr. James Lawton Haney Jr.
      (3) Based on a copy of a letter dated 1532 from the town of Pfungstadt in the possession of Mr. Robert Bornschein.
      (4) From discussions with Robert Bornschein, a local historian from Pfungstadt.

      George Masteller 1062 Progress Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15212

      ------------------------
      Philip Marsteller

      Born Philippus Balthasar Marsteller 1742-1803

      Edited by George Masteller

      B & W Copy of a painting of Philip Marsteller made in July 1800 by the noted early American painter Jacob Frymire. Theoldest known image of a Pfungstadt Marsteller.

      Philip [christened Philippus] grew up in Philadelphia County, now Montgomery County, PA. He received a good German and English education and attended the Augustus Evangelical Lutheran Church in Trappe, PA. His father, Frederick Ludwig Marsteller, died when he was 12 and his mother, Anna Barbara Stark, finished raising him on the family homestead. Both parents immigrated to America from Pfungstadt, Hesse, Germany in 1729, joining Frederick's brother, Johann Georg Marsteller.

      When he reached his majority (21), he received his portion of his father's estate (his Patrimony) which he used to purchase; a tract of land in what is now Mill Creek Township, Lebanon County, PA where he remained several years.

      At the outset of the American Revolution, he became one of the earliest "associators" and he was very active in raising troops for George Washington's army in 1775-1776. A Battalion of Associators was formed within Lebanon County in the autumn of 1775. It was commanded by Col. Philip Lorentz Greenwaltz, and Philip Marsteller was the Lieutenant Colonel (second in command) of this Battalion.

      In 1776, Philip Marsteller was a member of the Associators Second Battalion, Lancaster County. Colonel Curtis Grubb commanded this Battalion.

      Philip was a member of the Pennsylvania Constitutional Convention of 1776 (which adopted the first state Constitution), and during that and the following year was chosen to the Assembly. In 1777, he was appointed Lieutenant Colonel of the 1st Battalion Lancaster County Associators. He was appointed Paymaster of the militia on August 20, 1777, and, on 7/13/1779, was appointed agent to superintend the purchase of flour for the French fleet. He was appointed Assistant Forage-Master on April 5, 1780, for which he received a personal letter of commendation from George Washington thanking him for faithful and prompt performance of his duties. This letter was addressed to Major Philip Marsteller; it is in the Library of Congress. He was later named Assistant Deputy Quartermaster General.

      B & W copy of a painting of Mrs. Magdalena (Reiss) Marsteller, Philip's wife. Jacob Frymire also made this painting in 1800

      Philip became a close friend to General Washington and he eventually served as a pallbearer at George Washington's funeral. He was the only non-mason that served as a pallbearer. In addition two of his descendant's, Philip Jr., and grandson, Samuel A. Marsteller also served in the Funeral Cortege. Several letters exist in the George Washington section of the Manuscript division in the Library of Congress from President Washington to Philip.

      Philip settled in the Alexandria, VA area after the war (approximately 1783). With his son, Philip Gotthelp, he engaged in the commission business. He was the auctioneer of Alexandria, and accumulated much valuable furniture, silverware, china, fowling pieces, saddles, pistols, a rare print of Washington, and similar items.

      This is a copy of a painting of Samuel Arell Marsteller, a grandson of Philip, who was also a member of the funeral cortege of George Washington. Jacob Frymire also made this painting in August of 1800

      Of the pistols, one pair of matched flintlock pistols had once belonged to George Washington and was bought from the estate of Bartholomew Dandridge, former Private Secretary to George Washington. They were 14 inches long, with brass barrel, full-length walnut stock and seven solid silver inlays, including a grotesque mask on the butt; a rolled edge and engraved trigger guard; a panoply of arms on the cut-out side plates which show cannon, flags, drums, pole arms, a lion, and a unicorn.

      Richard Wilson and John Hawkins, London, gun makers made the pistols in 1748. Thomas Turner, whose grandfather had known Washington as a youth, gave the pistols to Washington in 1778. The pistols remained in Washington's possession during much of the Revolutionary War. Before he died, Washington gave the pistols to Bartholomew Dandridge, his wife's nephew and his secretary for six years. Dandridge survived only a few years after Washington's death, and, after his death, Philip purchased the pistols.

      In 1902 the pistols were sold to an antique arms dealer, Francis Bannerman at an estate auction near Warrenton, VA. In 1914 the pistols were sold to collector Edward Litchfield. In 1951 the Litchfield collection was sold to Clendennin Ryan. In 1953, he presented them to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point where they currently reside in the West Point Museum. In 1978, the U.S. Historical Society with headquarters in Richmond Virginia commissioned a limited edition of 975 pairs of commemorative replicas of the pistols, which were offered to the public for $2,600.

      Colonel Marsteller was Mayor of Alexandria, VA from 1790-1792. He was also a member of the Sun Fire Company. In 1793, he advertised as "to let" the property known in 1790 as 130 Prince Street in Alexandria,
      Virginia. He lived in a house that was reportedly still standing in 1928 at the southeast corner of Washington and Wolfe streets. The Alexandria Academy stood next to this house built by Col. Marsteller shortly after his arrival in Alexandria. In 1882, the Board of Trustees of the Academy bought the adjoining Marsteller property and used it for the Primary Grades up to, at least, 1928.

      Colonel Philip Marsteller long enjoyed the friendship of George Washington. Washington's last birthday was celebrated at a gathering at Wise's tavern (northeast corner of Fairfax and Cameron Streets) on 2/22/1799. Both George and Martha attended the observance. Col. Marsteller participated in the arrangements, while ladies listed as attending this "Birth Night Ball" included Mrs. Marsteller and a "Miss" Marsteller, one of Philip's daughters.

      Col. Marsteller is particularly known as one of six honorary pallbearers of George Washington at his funeral at Mount Vernon on the afternoon of 12/19/1799. Two Masonic lodges of Alexandria and Washington D.C. officiated at the funeral. Mrs. Washington specifically requested Col. Marsteller, who was not a Mason. The honorary pallbearer's included six Colonels, including Philip, who had served under General Washington during the Revolutionary War.

      Philip also served as a Lieutenant in a Military Company of Elders in Alexandria called the "Silver Grey's" and composed of older veteran's of the Revolution. This organization appeared in full uniform with arms for the first Washington's Birthday Parade through the streets of Old Alexandria on February 22, 1800.

      Col. Marsteller attended Christ Church, where he occupied pew number 38 (old numbering). He died at his home in Alexandria, and was buried in Christ Church yard under a large sycamore tree near the west line of the fence. Col. Marsteller, one of two of Washington's pallbearers buried there, had a handsome table stone monument. The monument was carried off during the civil war and disappeared.

      Included with this article are copies of five letters written from/about Philip by President Washington.

      The copies of paintings noted in this article were included in a painting exhibition in Washington D.C. in 1975-6. These are the oldest known images of members of the Marsteller family from Pfungstadt. It is of interest
      to study the features of Philip since both his parents were from Pfungstadt.

      The artist for Philip, Magdalena's and Samuel Arell's paintings is Jacob Frymire, a well-known early American "Folk Artist" painter. Less than 30 of his paintings are known to have survived and these are three of them.

      This is a painting of Charlotte Marsteller, a granddaughter of Philip, made in the early 1800's.

      Editor's note:

      The painting of Charlotte is now in the Corcoran Gallery of Art in Washington D.C. A descendant of Philip privately owns the other three paintings. These images were all copied from a book called "Jacob Frymire, American Limner" by Linda Crocker Simmons.

      This article has been written with the liberal use of material contributed by Betty Marsteller, Charles Marsteller, Dr. Bruce Keith and Helen Harrison. I give them my sincere thanks for their generous contributions to enrich our understanding and knowledge of the history of the Marsteller family.
      ===
      Charles County Maryland Will Book AF-11, 1791-1801, {Abstract by Mike Marshall}; Page 329.
      Samuel Harrison, February 7, 1796; February 19, 1796
      I, Samuel Harrison of the town of Alexandria (VA) being at present very sick and weak, notwithstanding of perfect and disposing mind memory and understanding.
      To brother-in-law Thomas Leftridge (or Leftwich)the colt which I own out of the gray mare to be delivered to him after my decease.
      To wife Barbara, residue of estate.
      Executor: wife Barbara Harrison
      Signed: February 7, 1796 Samuel Harrison
      Wit: George Slacum {Slacomb}, Philip Marsteller, Philip Gotthelp Marsteller
      At a court of Hastings held for the town of Alexandria 19th Feby 1796, this last will and testament was presented….
      I Peter Wagoner, Clerk of the court of Hustings for the Town of Alexandria do hereby certify that the foregoing is a true copy of the will of Samuel Harrison dec'd as taken from the records of the said court, given under my hand this 3rd day of March 1796
      {mm note: Col. Philip Marsteller is particularly known as one of six honorary pallbearers of George Washington at his funeral at Mount Vernon; was Mayor of Alexandria, VA from 1790-1792

      ===
      Charles County Land Records 1792-1796; Liber N#4; Page 311. Deed, Power of Attorney, Probates, and acknowledgment. Apr 17, 1794 from Robert Townshend Hooe of the Town of Alexandria, VA, and Richard Harrison and Anne, his wife, of the City of Philadelphia, to Humphrey Barnes of Charles Town in CC, for $1000, lot #37 in Charles Town (commonly called Port Tobacco). Signed - RTHooe, R Harrison, Ann Harrison, Wit - John Muncaster, P Marsteller, and Robert Mease as to RTH; Garrett Cottringer, James Patton, and George W. Craik as to Rh & AH.
      We, Robert Townshend Hooe of Alexandria, VA, and Richard Harrison of the City of Philadelphia, have appointed our friends, Daniel Jenifer, John Beale Turner, and Robert Fergusson of Charles Town commonly called Port Tobacco, one or more of them, to be our lawful attorney, to acknowledge a deed made between ad Hooe and Richard Harrison and Anne, his wife, of the one part, and Humphrey Barnes of the other part, dated Apr 17, 1794. Signed Apr 18, 1794 - RTHooe, R Harrison. Wit - John Muncaster, P Marsteller, and Robert Mease as to RTH; Garrett Cottringer, James Patton, and George W Craik as to RH.
      Alexandria, VA. Sd Hooe, on Apr 18, 1794, appeared before me, Mayor of sd Town, and acknowledged the within power of attorney. Signed - Robert Mease, Mayor. Recorded Oct 10, 1794,
      City of Philadelphia. On Apr 23, 1794, Richard Harrison appeared before me, Matthew Clarkson, Mayor of sd City, and acknowledged the within power of attorney. Signed - Matth. Clarkson, Mayor.
      Acknowledged in CC by John Muncaster and James Patton before M.J. Stone, Esq, Chief Judge, and Henry Barnes*.
      All of the above was acknowledged on Oct 10, 1794 by sd Hooe and Richard Harrison by John Beale Turner, their attorney, before Michael Jenifer Stone, Chief Justice, and Henry Barnes, Associate,Justice of CC, (See acknowledgement of dower, page 451}

Research Links  Find Philip Marsteller at the following sites -

Ancestry records for Philip Marsteller